Written by Alison Bell
For those that had a ham over Christmas, don't throw out the bone!!! There are so many options to use the ham bone in various bone broths, soups and stocks. Ham & Pea soup, ham and beans (the beans soak up all that salty ham flavour), traditional Chinese rice porridge (congee)... you can do almost anything!
- leftover ham bone
- leftover ham fat and skin
- 1 onion, peeled and halved
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 large carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- sprinkle of Italian dried herbs
- Place all ingredients into a slow cooker or stock pot
- Cook on low, just below a simmer, for 8-12 hours
- Strain liquid from the bone, fat and vegetables and store in fridge
- Reheat to drink as you wish!!
BUY DEHYDRATED BONE BROTH